Monday, 30 April 2012

Few points related to TaxonomyHiddenList and Permissions


Hi,

On our SharePoint site, we were doing testing for read only user and it found that in one webpart in which we are fetching data from one of the list, we are getting access denied error.

After looking in URL of access denied page, it seems that source type is list and name is having GUID of taxonomy hidden list. In our list we have few managed metadata fields.

After checking permission of Taxonomy Hidden List it found that inheritance is broken on this list and read only user has no permissions on this list. So this is the problem with Taxonomy Hidden List.  We also faced similar kind of problem for anonymous user. Somehow permission inheritance gets broken on Taxonomy Hidden List.  So if you face similar kind of problem, check first the permissions for TaxonomyHiddenList

But now something about Taxonomy Hidden List…

Taxonomy Hidden List:
  1. TaxonomyHiddenList is the hidden list on root web. This list can be viewed by directly navigating the URL http://MyWeb.com/Lists/TaxonomyHiddenList
  2. This list contains all the terms and keyword used for the site collection
  3. This list is used for caching the taxonomy terms. SharePoint uses this list so that no need to query the managed meta data service all the time
  4. When we use the Taxonomy term, an item is get created in this list. The id of this item is the WSSID. This WSSID is of type Counter and can be used for querying purpose
  5. For the taxonomy terms which are still not used in the site, we will not find the item for it in this list. So no WSSID for that term.
Hope these points will help you.
Thanks! Enjoy reading J

The page ‘/_catalogs/masterpage/mymasterpage.master’ allows a limit of 11 direct dependencies, and the limit has exceeded.


Hi,

After today’s our deployment, we are getting following error

 The page ‘/_catalogs/masterpage/mymasterpage.master’ allows a limit of 11 direct dependencies, and the limit has exceeded.

Solution:

After researching for sometime it found that we have added new user control in master page and this error is related to that. There is a setting in web.config file 

<SafeMode MaxControls="200" CallStack="false" DirectFileDependencies="10" TotalFileDependencies="50" AllowPageLevelTrace="false">

“DirectFileDependencies” which is set to 10. So we increased the value of “Direct FileDependencie” attribute and site started, working as follows. 

<SafeMode MaxControls="200" CallStack="false" DirectFileDependencies="20" TotalFileDependencies="50" AllowPageLevelTrace="false">

But now what is this setting, 

Safe Mode element is used for security purpose basically for the customized (unghosted) SharePoint pages.
MaxControls: This attribute limits the no of controls on the page. Default value "200".

DirectFileDependencies:  This attribute limits the no of user controls added in master pages. Default value "10".

TotalFileDependencies: This attribute limits the no of controls added on the page (including Master page and page layout). Default value "50".

Actually doing changes in these value is not the best practice. There are workaround to tackle this problem. But I went through several books and documents, several hours of searching on net bug couldn’t find much.

Enjoy reading J